09 February 2018

MYSTERY DATE


I've been sitting on this one for a few years, if only because there's never a right time for some things. The amateurish hard driving lilt of "Talking and Talking" may be great, but often at six in the morning I'm more in the mood for relentless blast beats or (more) shit-fi noise punk. And the self important relevance of some late '80s indie/punk mix tape often seems more topical than the garage-meets-UK punk swagger of "High Speed Romance" so I tend to fall back on the things that make me more comfortable. But I will likely hang on to my SOVIETTES records through virtually every imaginable purge, and I have no connection there except for some really good tunes - and "Come Find Me" is a good tune of a similar caliber. There's something lazy about the vocals, and there's something casually brilliant about the presentation...and sometimes that's all you need. 




No comments: